Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Comfort Quilt


002, originally uploaded by myittybittyquilts.

I made this quilt for a sweet friend who was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer for the second time. She has been through surgery and started chemo and I thought a quilt to snuggle up in just might offer a little bit of comfort during a rough time. I used the colors in her home as inspiration for the color scheme and threw in some soft and cuddly fabrics like Minky and Chenille.
I used the disappearing nine-patch pattern. How fun and easy. In case someone out there hasn't seen this pattern, I'll briefly explain what I did. First, you make a nine patch using whatever size squares you want to (I used 6 1/2"). I used a different fabric for each of the squares here. Then, you cut the nine patch in quarters, cutting right down the middle both horizontally and vertically. Then you arrange these new blocks in a way that makes you happy. I put all my large squares together.
Anyway, you are probably more confused now, so go ahead and search on Goodsearch for disappearing nine patch and you'll find a few tutorials.

No comments: